Thursday, July 29, 2010

Inspired by the Sand Dollar


I recently designed some jewelry for our newest online store, Glass Sparrows on Etsy, using Sand Dollar Charms combined with the beach glass that my sister and I have found off the shores of lake Erie. We often incorporate nature into our designs and use what we see as our inspiration for new designs.


Growing up, we often vacationed by the ocean. I LoVeD finding little treasures on the beach and one of themost prized treasures was finding a Sand Dollar that was not damaged! I did find one on our last trip to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. It was completely by accident. We had just arrived at the beach and decided to take a walk along the shore with my family. We were just walking along the beach reminiscing about past vacations and listening to the sound of the waves and breathing in the ocean air. I just happened to take a look down and saw a little Sand Dollar floating in the waves..not damaged...almost like it was just waiting for me to look down and snatch it up! I have to say...finding that sand dollar was probably one of the best moments of our vacation. Later on that week, my Aunt brought me a post card that she had found at one of the stores and on it was the Legend of the Sand Dollar. This is what it said:


"The Holy Ghost Shell, otherwise known as the Sand Dollar is one of nature's most unusual specimens of marine life. The markings on the shell symbolize the birth, crucifixion, and resurrection of Christ. An outline of the Easter Lily is a five pointed star that represents the star of Bethlehem. The narrow elliptical openings are remeniscent of the five wounds made in the body of Christ during the crucifixion. On the underside of the shell is an easily recognized outline of the Christmas Poinsettia. When the shell is broken open, cells are found each holding five objects that look like five birds in flight. These represent the Doves of Peace. Another interpretation of these bird-like objects connects them to the angels who sang to the shepherds in the first Christmas morning."


Don't you just love that! I certainly do...nothing makes me more at peace and content then being at the ocean and seeing God in every living thing, in each wave that crashes on the shore, in every breath that I take, and in every little treasure hidden in the sand.
To view our newest beach glass designs inspired by the Sand Dollar...enter our store gallery here: http://www.glasssparrows.etsy.com/
Become a FAN on facebook!!!

2 comments:

  1. Love this blog post! I wore a sand dollar necklace for years (at least 20 yrs) to show my belief in the grace of god and the gift of forgiveness. Ironically it was lost in the ocean on a weekend adventure. On my way to check out your Esty shop. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comments! Let us know what you think of the necklace listed...if you would like us to custom design a sand dollar necklace...we would be happy to :)

    ReplyDelete